How much household income can I have and still be able to file for Social Security benefits?


In Social Security Disability there is a difference between household income and your own income, and both affect your access to disability benefits in different ways.

Let’s first address household income. Your household income can affect your eligibility for SSI. To be eligible for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) your income cannot exceed a certain level. This income limit is based on the Federal Benefit Rate (FBR) and changes annually with the cost-of-living-adjustment. For 2016, the FBR is $733 per month for individuals and $1,100 for couples; however, your countable income may be different than your actual income, so call Rainwater, Holt & Sexton and we can advise you on whether or not you exceed this income limit.

Second is your own income. In order to be found disabled you cannot be engaged in what the Social Security Administration terms “substantial gainful activity” (SGA). A person who is working and earning over a certain monthly amount is considered to be engaging in substantial gainful activity and is not considered disabled. For statutorily blind individuals, SGA for 2016 is $1,820. For non-blind individuals, the SGA amount for 2016 is $1,130. If your monthly income is close to this amount or slightly over, please call Rainwater, Holt & Sexton as we may still be able to help you.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

We’re taking care of Arkansas.

With four offices in Arkansas—Little Rock, Fayetteville, Conway, and Hot Springs—our Arkansas personal injury lawyers are easily accessible when you need help. If you were hurt in an accident and want the help of an experienced attorney with a proven track record, contact Rainwater, Holt & Sexton Injury Lawyers.

Fill out a free contact request form, which only takes a minute, or simply dial (800) 767-4815 and tell us about your accident.

We help you Weather the Storm

Tell us how we can help.